Short choral responses, one for each of the six sources of Unitarian Universalism. Permission to project lyrics included with purchase of ten or more copies.
SSATBB, SSATB, AND SATB, A CAPPELLA
KEYWORDS: CHALICE LIGHTING, UNITARIAN UNIVERSALISM, LITURGICAL & SERVICE MUSIC, PRELUDE, POSTLUDE, OPENING, CLOSING, GATHERING, BENEDICTION, TRANSCENDENCE, MYSTERY, WONDER, PROPHETIC WOMEN AND MEN, WORLD RELIGIONS, JEWISH, JUDAISM, CHRISTIAN, CHRISTIANITY, HUMANIST, HUMANISM, EARTH, NATURE
Look & listen
lyrics ©2008 David M. Glasgow (ASCAP)
purchase print music at DAVIDMGLASGOW.COM
1. Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life
Greater than all, Closer than any,
open our hearts to welcome you here,
around and among,
within and beyond and alive.
2. Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love
Their words feed our minds.
Their deeds guide our hands.
Their passion fuels our souls.
Praise be for them.
3. Wisdom from the world’s religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life
I gaze at stars as your sun brightly shines.
Tell me what you see.
4. Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God’s love by loving our neighbors as ourselves
Lo tikkom v’lo tittor et b’nay ammekhah, b’ahhavtah l’rayahkhah kamokhah.
Neither hate nor avenge, but let grace guide your deeds as you love ev-’ry soul as your own.
5. Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit
Let not my mind be closed by belief, but open my eyes wide with wonder.
6. Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature
Ground me. Free me.
Welcome me back to the cycles that nurture my soul.